25 October 2011

Californication I: Sneaky Shenanigans


This past weekend, Thursday to Sunday, I trekked out to California, PA to visit my girl, some friends and attend an SCA event called Agincourt.  The trip isn’t too difficult, just boring.  Three hundred miles of Pennsylvania…and it all looks the same.  Granted it becomes less populated and hillier as you head west, but once you’ve seen the PA Turnpike four times, you’ve seen it all.

Instead of mini-orchids, I procured a pot of Calla Lillies for my girlfriend, which if I remember right are one of her favorites. (Glad I did, watched all the unsold ones get tossed at work today =( )  She was en route to class when I first arrived however, and rather than put out a signal flare that I was on campus, decided to make my way to the library and see if fencing club was still in its meeting.  I couldn’t find them in the usually spots (which they weren’t in anyway) and so made my way to fourth floor.  As I alighted from the elevation converter, I received a text from one Shane Pilgrim.  He had just discovered my Facebook status about being on my way, and wanted to know when I would arrive.  For those of you wishing to stalk Mr. Pilgrim, he works on said fourth floor, mere yards from where I was standing at the time.  I walked into the office where he keeps watch, and with luck, found him facing away from the door (not a very good guard).  Rather than answering via text, I silently approached his desk, and said: “I already have.”  The response was most satisfying; a startled jump, a “holy shit man,” and of course, that friendly hug straight guys do.  After chatting a bit I made sure he’d go play Magic and drink with the gang later and continued my search for people I know. 

I was on my way to the student center when I received another text, this time from my girlfriend’s roommate (Who happens to be my most recent ex & is dating my best friend from grade school).  She let me into the room and ran off to class.  I layed on my girl’s bed thinking I might catch some sleep.  WRONG.  I was visited by one of my friends who ironically lives right above my girlfriend.  We talked about how the atmosphere of the college had changed and where life was going etc.  I’m actually kinda proud of this girl.  When she first came to school, she was very…naïve? And sheltered?  I remember her sitting on a friend’s couch with her brand new Dell laptop, and asking us if she had a Mac or a PC.  Her parents, while very nice, are devoutly Christian, and the first few years of college this was very apparent in my friend too.  But while she visited with me she explained how she loves home, but really doesn’t ever want to live there again, that college had been too liberating.  I also know she’s become much more independent since her freshman year.

After a little bit she went back to her room to do homework (I don’t miss that) and my girlfriend’s roommate returned.  Shortly afterward we went to sneak a Viking into the building and then sat about waiting for my girl to get out of class.  Knowing she was close, we decided to hide all trace of me in her room except for me, which was placed behind the door.  She must be more aware of her surroundings than Mr. Pilgrim, she was still surprised but turned to me as I moved from behind the door.  I greeted her with a bone-crushing hug.

We proceeded to chill until Silva Vulcani’s fencing practice, but I’ve reached that limit of acceptable blog length and must cut it off here. More to come I promise, as soon as I have time and motivation.

2 comments:

  1. Haha it was awesome when you surprised me. I texted you when I thought you were still on the road, definitely didn't expect you to show up 20 seconds later. Creeper powers, activate!

    Let me get this straight: she didn't know you were coming at all, or were you just trying to sneak up on her?

    ~SP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just being sneaky. She knew I was coming but not the hour.

    ReplyDelete