19 September 2011

Fiscal Flaming Flukes Flaunting Fun...What?

OMG! A second post inside a week. Don't ask.  Since I last posted I tracked down the Blogger app for my iPod, which I've looked for in the App Store before and never found.  With it, you may see more, mini-posts here and there when I'm too lazy to fire up the laptop.  Today has been a slew of "poor financial decisions" starting with buying Magic cards online.  (By the way, giving me a paycheck is a bad idea)  I found a site that offers some pretty unique cards, including promo cards which I couldn't resist.  I then trekked to the Mart of Wals in search of two things: Contact lens solution, and Ajani vs. Nicol Bolas Duel Decks.

Walmart had a good deal on the contact solution but their pathetic Magic selection was worse than usual, so I trekked to the nearest Target.  They must've had 12 sets of the Duel Deck...I bought four.

Smell that? That's money on fire.
                                                           
                                                                                                                                                                     
OM NOMNOM!
Yep, $80 in Magic, all the same set. Why?  Simple, Duel Decks are limited printings and the namesake cards in each feature different artwork than the original versions. They MSRP for about $20 but after a few months, their value shoots up.  The original Duel Deck, Elves vs. Goblins goes for about $180 on Amazon.  Now not all the Duel Decks go up in value, I bought the Knights vs. Dragons set this past spring and it's still only $25, but I liked the concept and enjoy raping people with overpowered dragons :P  Anywho, I expect the Ajani/Bolas Deck to inflate nicely over time, and if it doesn't I'll just give out my extra three sets as gifts.


I also spent a good part of the day hunting down single cards via Amazon and other, more shady sites.  I'd list them all but I'd like to leave some nasty surprises for my friends, muahaha!

I also have a photo update from my Time Keeps on Slipping post where I talked about pulling my third Kozilek:
The first Kozilek I bought, the 2nd came from a booster and was traded to a friend, the third also came from a booster. Emrakul came from the infamous Shane Pilgrim.
To be honest, I think the Eldrazi are my second favorite Magic creature after Slivers.  They're rather difficult to get onto the field, but woe to your opponents when you do.  Especially the big guys.  I find it a little sad that the novel accompanying the Zendikar/Worldwake/Rise of the Eldrazi block doesn't offer a solution to these behemoths. It's my understanding that the book ends on a cliffhanger.  So how did the Planeswalkers stop them? Why did Nicol Bolas want them released?  And if the Eldrazi are so powerful, will they return?

On that note, I'm going to go upstairs and play my decks against each other.

4 comments:

  1. "Smell that? That's money on fire."

    Yep, that's my life EVERY FREAKING DAY. Evil Genius is next to the laundromat, as you know, and I consider a day wasted if I spend less on clothes than I do on Magic. Go freaking figure.

    Can I just tell you that I laughed out loud when I saw that you bought 4 decks?

    Also, what's this site with the singles? I'm curious.

    ~SP

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.magiconabudget.com/

    They don't have everything but they have a decent selection. Make sure to compare prices elsewhere, not everything is cheaper there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not bad, not bad. Their site is running very slow right now but I like their selection and their prices. I don't see any encryption, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty sure when you go to checkout you get the secure URL thing up top.

    Also, you should respond on FB about New Years.

    ReplyDelete