17 August 2011

Now I'm Back From Outer Space


Greetings to all, oh, five of you, who read this.  I’ve been away for a while having attended Pennsic and a friend’s (first ex-girlfriend ironically) wedding.

Pennsic went pretty well.  Aethlemearc sided with the East Kingdom, which was good for me having acquaintances in both.  In the long run, the Midrealm and its allies were vastly outnumbered on both the heavy field and the fencing fields.  By Tuesday the East and its allies had accumulated all the available War Points up till that point, making it impossible for the Midrealm to win the war.

For the fencers there were 3 War Point battles, Town, Field, and Woods.  Each had 3, 2, and 1 round respectively.  I must say, although the Woods were highly chaotic and full of poison ivy, I think it was my favorite.  Weaving through trees to stab an unsuspecting foe is highly satisfying.  There was some foul play during the fight (EMS took out someone with broken ribs) but for the most part it was a good time.

Don't we look terrifying?
We also partook in the Atlantian Five-Man tourny, in which teams of five fencers face off.  We decided to call ourselves Aethlemearc's School of Pain, since our group is a College and most of us had been injured or to the ER within the previous two weeks.  The first few rounds didn't go well as we tried accommodating a team mate's broken foot.  Meeting no success we changed our strategy to one we're more familiar with, in which myself and Ragnar blitz rush one end of the opposing team's line in order to get behind them.  It worked a lot better, landing us at least one victory, but the damage had been done and we didn't advance past the first round.

I also spent a lot of money at Pennsic, and not all on what I thought.  Probably my single biggest purchase were some fencing pants from Gypsy Peddler for $69, but from what I hear, Peddler’s stuff will be around longer than I am.  My most ridiculous purchase was a cotton  kilt.  Yes, I bought a man-skirt.  Well worth it though, as my alternative “formal” wear was long black pants in which I would’ve roasted.
One of my best Pennsic stories would have to be while at the Seven Pearls Bardic Competition in the Aethlemearc Royal Encampment.  The final person had gone and the judges were trying to decide a winner when North Shield, an Aethlemearc shire, barged into the camp unannounced with plastic Viking helms, glow sticks, and a Beer Siege Wagon. “Do not fear, we bring beer!” they cried.  I found myself wishing that I actually liked beer, but I did get a bottle of bubbles out of the invasion.  Yes, I can be easily pleased.

Friday afternoon most of us departed camp, with four of us heading to the afore-mentioned friend’s wedding.  At the hotel we were able to shower, feel human, and catch up with some long-absent friends, mostly Ivan, who started our fencing group and was officiating the wedding.  Despite our exhaustion, we played Magic and chatted about the SCA until 2 AM. 

Saturday was the wedding, small, short, simple, and beautiful.  During the reception I had a mediocre gin and tonic and did much dancing, most of it with a recently engaged friend whose fiancé couldn’t make it. I make a decent substitute I guess.

Sunday I headed home alone in the rain.  Felt sorry for the two motorcycles that passed me.  Speaking of which, my dad just got a 1999 Honda Shadow, so now I have an excuse to get my bike permit.  Anywho.  Bummed around most of Monday. 

Today I went on a mini adventure to Oaks, PA.  for there, behind the BJ’s, are some pieces of abandoned railroad equipment.  These trains have been sitting there for a long time. I first saw them after the Regal Cinemas 24 opened there, and the trains are along the back road out of the lot.  Today I drove down there and climbed into two of them.  I took about 52 pictures between the 4 major attractions there.  The only two identifying marks I found were the steam engine’s side said “Steamtown 1” and the maintenance speeder had a sticker in it for the Tourist Railway Association, Inc.  Now I know there’s a Steamtown up near Scranton, PA.  If these trains are from there, they’re a looong way from home.  Tempted to call the park office at Steamtown and see if they know anything about these trains’ origins.

After my miniventure I made my way to my grandmom’s and then my dad’s, were we disassembled my broken iPod Touch and played with the garden railroad.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Not bad, Mr. Galleghure. Not bad at all. It sounds like Pennsic was a pretty awesome time and despite injuries you played the cards you were dealt. I see the Viking brought glowsticks...did that make him a TECHNOVIKING?

    Pretty nonstop weekend between the end of Pennsic and the wedding. Glad it all went smoothly.

    I love old, out-of-place stuff. Like those smokestacks just chilling by the road in Century 3, or those trains.

    ~SP

    ReplyDelete