24 July 2011

The Cost of Power

     So Pennsylvania has been blisteringly hot the past few days.  Been spending most of my days hiding in the air conditioning, except when I have to drive somewhere in non-air conditioned car. -_-  Anywho, I happened upon an interesting, or rather disturbing, news article using my iPod's Pulse app.  A glistening example of the cost of America's power and hunger.  The article discusses the fact that there are roughly 20,000 oil spills in the United States every year.
"While most people have been paying attention to the debt crisis, another American
 disaster has been taking place under the radar in Montana. Three weeks ago, an ExxonMobil 
oil pipeline pumping medium crude into the United States from from Canada burst, spilling 
42,000 gallons of sludge into the immaculate Yellowstone River, the longest 
free-flowing river in the lower 48 states."

     The worst part is that the companies responsible for these "small" spills rarely pay any major consequences.  I could speculate about them paying off the higher powers but...
Anywho, as much as I love cars, we need to find another source of power other than oil.  America, and the world needs to find a safer, cleaner power source before it kills us all.  Of course, as long as there's money in the oil industry it's not going to go away any time soon.
     In other news, I'm currently watching the German Grand Prix on Fox.  XPSMcLaren has many more details about this weekend's motor sports events...and oddly by watching this I'm supporting the current petrol industry aren't I...dammit.

2 comments:

  1. Big Oil will never die. It's a sad fact of life. Sort of like Glistening Oil...you just can't get rid of it no matter how hard you try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so tempted to include a picture of that card, you have no idea.

    ReplyDelete